Sunday, January 27, 2013

Insanity

is what my hands were thinking for the last couple of days.  I got the piecing done on the next Walk in the Woods, and decided I wanted to keep the uneven edges.  So I spent several hours turning under and basting all those raw edges.


You can get a peek of my latest Tangled Textiles challenge piece in the upper left corner- but you will have to visit the Tangled Textiles blog tomorrow to see it, and all the other creations from the group.

 I'm already thinking about what background matte color will work best with this piece.  Thank goodness for PSE!  I figured it would be easier to audition background colors on the computer.  I'd originally thought a deep, dark red would work--


but I'm not sure about it.  So I tried a dull green--

 
and a dull olive green--

and a brighter gold--


 I even tried a grayed blue--

 In the end, I think I've tentatively decided that this dark brown works the best- it makes all the colors pop, rather than sapping some of them.  Two and a half yards of cotton are stewing in a dye bucket right now, to be washed out shortly. We'll see if I still feel that way when I can see it all in person, rather than on a computer screen.


Which color background do you think works best?


8 comments:

Renate said...

That's a wonderful way to choose a background. As for which one I like, I'm leaning toward the yellow one. It feels like you are walking through the woods on a bright sunny autumn day enjoying all of nature's colours.

Ineke said...

Personally I love the dark red.

Del said...

I would go for the yellow, but then I do love yellow... and orange. I would like to see some pattern in the background - like a scrunched hand-dye.

Rian said...

I love the dark one, the last photo. It's dramatic. I like the dark red also.

Karoda said...

The greens do it for me.

Kay said...

I love this piece! Both the style and the subject really speak to me. I actually liked the greyed blue background, (and that would be the complementary color, I think), but on my computer it didn't look to different from the last one, so...

Gina said...

I love what you've done with this piece, with the uneven edges! All the backgrounds look good and I'd probably choose one of the darker ones too.

Lynda said...

I like them all but I think the red is my favorite. Beautiful!