Sunday, November 04, 2012

Walking in the Woods

I managed two walks on the river trail this weekend.  The weather has been glorious here, in the low sixties with gorgeous blue skies.  The best of the colors are behind us, but there is still plenty to see.


The first day, I noticed this wasp's nest in a tree- previously hidden by the tree's leaves!


Today I saw this bird's nest, safe and secure in a couple of large limbs.


Isn't that blue sky gorgeous against the white tree bark?

I've also been in the studio.  I am determined to find a way to interpret this photo I took in Michigan in a way that makes me happy. 


I am going for the restful tones of green against the vertical lines of the trees.  The leaves were just starting to turn when I was there in September, so I chose fabric that would reflect the colors I thought I would see at the height.  Here's what I have pieced--


I am going to try some wonky machine embroidery, and add hand embroidery at the end.  I'm hoping that will help tone down some of those yellow areas that just jump out at me. The quilting will be simple and linear.

I'm already thinking about the next one.  I'm thinking I will limit the number of green fabrics, and bring it accents with thread- embroidery and quilting.  That will help take care of some of the issues I had with all those piecing seams!  In the meantime, I am having fun with these. They are small enough to do quickly, and I'm hoping one of them will be good enough to develop into a larger quilt.  It does feel good to be working this way!

12 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Lovely pictures Beverly!
I love the splashes of yellow in your green lineair quilt!

Renate said...

Wonderful piece! I do get a sense of sunlight dappling through the trees and hitting the odd leaf that is just starting to turn for the season.

Lisa said...

I love your trees!

Libby Fife said...

You really are a good photographer. That top shot is just perfect and would be a great painting or quilt! Any of the shots would be actually.

Glad that you are working away and getting your ideas out. It always feels good doesn't it?

Patty Ashworth said...

I grew up in Vermont, and an old farmer told me that the wasps only build their nests higher than the next year's snow fall, so that the nest will stay dry. He was right every year that I found one! So that nest was very high up in the tree.....

Deborah OHare said...

Love this interpretation of trees.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos of beautiful views. You are having a wonderful, colorful season in Utah this year. I used to live in Pleasant View near Ogden and always enjoyed drives into the wooded areas to see the colors. I think your fabric interpretation is quite good. I actually like the spots of light that the yellow brings, but I will be eager to see how your embroidery stitches might change that effect. Enjoy! I've over at Off the Wall also.

Vicki Miller said...

You have been taking some wonderful photos lately. I lke your nterpretaton of the forest.

Nina Marie said...

ohhh its so nice to see the inspiration! the use of the accent color is great!

Lisa Chin said...

Wow that is an impressive wasp's nest up there! I love the quilt. Looks great!

Cheryl Lynch Quilts said...

Your interpretation us wonderful. I really get the feel if the woods.

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
Fabulous post! Like others, I, too, like the splashes of yellow, the light hitting the odd leaf, and the natural feeling in this piece. Thanks for the comment on my blog.
Susan