Monday, October 15, 2012

St. Augustine

I'd told my son I wanted to go there this trip, since they probably won't be living in Florida that much longer.  He's done with school in March 2014, and he's anticipating relocating for a new job when he's done. 

So we left for St. Augustine on Sunday.  I have now traveled almost the entire length of Florida, and I can say it is all pretty much the same- lots of trees, lots of green.  If I didn't have signs, I doubt I could tell the difference between Daytona Beach or Naples.

St. Augustine is an interesting mix of history and tourist schlock.  We got a hotel within walking distance of everything we wanted to see- the old town and the castillo. We walked the old town streets, browsing in some of the more interesting shops.  I was disappointed that a fiber/cloth store I found was closed on both Sunday and Monday.






I loved the sense of history that was evident throughout the old part of town.  The European roots of this city were clear, from some of the cobbled streets to the Place de la Constitucion, the oldest public square in North America.

But the best part was the Castilo de San Marco.  We walked the outside on the first day, but waited until Monday to pay to go inside so we wouldn't be rushed.  It was worth the wait.





This was inside the castilo, in the soldier's bunk area.  This is a bed for four- two up, two down.  They weren't much bigger than a twin bed.
 The park rangers give talks throughout the day.  I got to see their costumes- they are wool.  I can't imagine wearing that in Florida in July.  The one I spoke with said the one concession to the weather was forgoing the big overcoat everyone would have worn in the seventeenth century.

The view of the city from the top part of the castilo was stunning.
 I'll end this with a picture of my beautiful Michelle, taken on the castilo grounds.


Add in a little bit of shopping, good food- it was a wonderful two days.


3 comments:

Rian said...

Sounds like a lovely place to visit with family. We have St. Augustine on our itinerary for next spring. I think that, in addition to the history--and isn't the fountain of youth there?--there's a golf hall of fame. Michelle is a cutie pie.

Vicki Miller said...

What a gorgeous place to visit! So much to see and revel in. Glad you enjoyed your few days, but what a pity about the fabric shop :-(

Renate said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time and the little cutie Michelle seems to have enjoyed it too.