Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Quilty Road Trip

This is a long weekend in Utah, so I decided to take a road trip.  There is a small art museum in Brigham City, which is about twenty five miles north of Ogden and about an hour and a half drive from my home.  There is an exhibit there featuring Lenore Crawford, with quilts exhibited by others also.  Since Shannon had the day off from work also, I had her and Bentlee for company.

It was fun to watch Shannon's reaction to one quilt, since it was depicting a scene in Annecy, France- a place she visited a couple of years ago.


(If the pictures aren't the best, it is because they were taken with Shannon's Droid.  Stupid me assumed they wouldn't allow pictures, so I didn't take my camera.  Note to self- don't assume, take the thing!!)

There were also some that I immediately recognized, since they've been published.



I was surprised to see that she creates the backgrounds of her floral quilts out of two-inch squares of fabric.  This one, however, was different.  The flower was created and then appliqued to a Ricky Tims' hand-dye.


The exhibit is small, but I'm glad I went up.  They are even giving away neat posters of the exhibit with the Annecy quilt- I grabbed a couple, intending to frame one for the studio.

There were other beautiful quilts, but those are for another post.

I have also been doing quilty stuff today.  That blue cotton knit that spent time in a turquoise dye bath last weekend got another layer today, this time with paint.  I loved the effect this created!!


I like that it tones down the green even more than the turquoise dyebath did.  The printing tool was incredibly simple---





It is rubber bands on a piece of foam core.  I finally got around to using an idea in Print and Stamp Lab by Traci Bunkers.  She has some cool ideas for making simple printing tools.

So now I wait for the paint (Speedball Screenprinting Ink for Fabric, opaque white) to dry, then heat set it.  Then a couple of hours of sewing, and I will have another unique tee to wear!!

Ah, one more day of weekend tomorrow.  I plan to start quilting on my next challenge piece for Tangled Textiles.  I'm hoping my idea looks as good in the execution as it does in my head!!

6 comments:

What Comes Next? said...

Those quilts are just spectacular! Oh how I wish I had that kind of skill! I will just keep on practicing. I love how your fabric has turned out - did you stamp with your rubber bands and foam core, or brush the paint on with it? Great effect!

Lisa said...

What a display of quilts! I have been to Annecy too, about 1972! Love your new fabric!!!

Renate said...

Oh those quilts are absolutely lucsious. Love the printing tool technique and the resulting fabric. I read somewhere that a potato masher also makes a great printing tool! Huh, who would have "thunk" it?

Kay said...

Deja vu about that Annecy quilt! I never heard of that place before although I've spent quite a bit of time in France, and now here it is again!

I really like that cotton knit. Beautiful combination of color and printing design. In the painting class I took on line (and did nothing with :( that was one of the suggested tools.

Vicki Miller said...

Such gorgeous quilts! I am going to the stitches and craft fair tomorrow, sure I'll see a few too.
Love the dyeing and painting!

dq said...

Thanks so so much for posting these fabulous photos. I LOVE LOVE LOVE looking at them!!

I dream of making quilts like these.