Sunday, September 05, 2010

A Long Weekend- and a Piecing Marathon

We're having a lovely long weekend- and I'm enjoying it, since much cooler weather is supposed to roll in tomorrow.  I've spent a lot of time the last couple of days in the studio, madly piecing the memory quilt.  With the addition of the narrow black bands between the blocks, it also became  an exercise in "how do I put this together?"  I did some unsewing, but not a lot, and lots of partial seams.  I could never have done this on paper ahead of time- my brain just can't do it.  I needed the blocks up on my wall where I could see them, and work the process through.  My plan that I'd sketched out on graph paper got adjusted as I pieced, but in the end it all worked.  I think the narrow black bands really add some  zing to this quilt!


Adding the black bands also took care of another potential problem- bulk created when two heavier fabrics are seamed.  Since the shirt fabrics are only sewn to the lighter-weight black fabric, bulk is practically eliminated.

We also got our next photo for Interpret This!  It's one Deb took when she was living in Indonesia in the 90's.  It also reminds me of gates I saw around homes inhabited by Europeans when I was in Africa with the Peace Corps in the early 70's.  Strip piecing immediately comes to mind, but I'm going to let it marinate for a bit.


Not too long, though- I leave for Florida on Sept. 22, so I have to finish it before then.

I've got some pieces of fabric and a scarf rusting away, too.  Maybe I can get some small pieces done too???

2 comments:

Libby Fife said...

Love the memory quilt. It reminds me of work by Mondrian. Google the name to see what I mean:)

Judy said...

I really like the memory quilt...the addition of the black strips is very pleasing!

xo